Early Years Foundation Stage
At Mosborough, our practice is shaped by the four guiding principles of the EYFS :
- every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured
- children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
- importance of learning and development. Children develop and learn at different rates.
And the Characteristics of Effective Learning:
- Playing and Exploring
- Active Learning
- Creating and Thinking Critically
Children’s experiences in Foundation provide them with a strong start to their learning journey here at Mosborough Primary School. Our children are supported positively to become independent, engaged and motivated learners alongside developing their understanding of what it means to be a successful Mosborough citizen.
Our curriculum enables children to develop in the three prime areas of learning; Communication and Language, Physical Development and Personal, Social & Emotional Development alongside the specific areas of learning; Literacy, Maths, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts & Design. We do this by considering not only the learning aspect of children’s journey in their first year at our school but equally how every part of our day can enable our children to succeed.
We know that all 7 areas of learning are important and interconnected; therefore, experiences occur across many different opportunities offered through our curriculum. Direct adult-teaching is offered as part of our curriculum alongside an enabling environment that provides a wide range of learning experiences. Learning opportunities are provided both indoors and outdoors. The focus of learning and skills are mapped out on our long term overview however, teaching & learning is adapted to support the developing needs of the children and to enable opportunities to follow the interests of the children.
We aim to:
- Provide a challenging and creative environment, both indoors and outdoors, which will develop curious, confident and independent learners.
- Introduce children to a wide range of vocabulary and high quality language stems which are revisited and embedded throughout the year.
- Develop, support and enable children to become caring, creative, courageous, collaborative, critical and communicative; our whole school values.
- Allow children time to practise and develop ways of communicating effectively both independently and with others.
- Provide an environment which is safe, secure, healthy and inclusive and where children feel happy.
- Encourage children to adopt a caring and positive attitude towards themselves, each other, the school environment and the world around them.
- Provide parents and carers with the information they need to support their child; working together with school staff.
We pride ourselves on:
- Offering opportunities for children to develop their independence from the moment they start with us
- Embedding daily routines that enable children to demonstrate their independence
- Establishing high expectations that can be built upon year after year
- Fostering an enjoyment for reading and retelling stories
- Using high quality texts across the curriculum to support learning
- Knowing our children, their needs and their abilities in order to support them to develop
- Providing a high quality enabling environment with a range of opportunities linked to all areas of learning
- Ensuring that children develop their early language and literacy skills including their early reading and phonics knowledge
- Enabling children to acquire a wide range of vocabulary and offer excellent opportunities for language development
- Delivering high quality adult-led sessions linked to a variety of areas of learning
- Identifying early those children who may need extra support to be successful
- Providing children with a wide range of experiences that support them to develop their knowledge and skills in order for this to be built upon during more discrete teaching in Key Stage 1
- Supporting children to understand the school’s Value of the Term in order to establish a clear understanding of what it means to be part of Team Mosborough
- Providing parents with information throughout the year about what they can do to support their child
As a result, our children are:
- Positive about themselves and others
- Confident with routines and clear about expectations
- Effective communicators
- Willing to have a go at a variety of task with a positive and resilient attitude
- Confident and happy retelling stories
- Excellent Mosborough citizens
Our learning - Topic Overview Autumn 2 2023-24
Our learning - Topic Overview Autumn 1 2023-24
Foundation Phonics Meeting Slides - November 2023